Monday, December 1, 2008

Books I've Read this year...

I convinced my friend, Tracy, to start a book club earlier this year. It has been fun and I've read more this year than in recent years past.

The Measure of a Man, Sidney Poitier
Don't really recommend it. Although many like his writing style, I found it very elementary, with the occasional superfluous Webster's dictionary word. Had he a better editor or writing partner, his story could have been wonderful.

The Lemon Tree, Sandy Tolan
There was LOTS of history in this book. This is a true story. Most times I felt like this book was over my head. However, the point of view of the author was very interesting and not one most Americans would take. An interesting, intellectual read.

Gracelin O'Malley, Ann Moore
This was my pick the month I hosted. I read this book a few years ago and fell in love with the story and characters. It was so good, I wanted to read it again. My book club buddies fell in love with the characters as well. This was the author's first novel and it is very well written.

Irreparable Harm, Randy Singer
Great mystery. Although, I've been told that once you read a few of Singer's books you can easily figure out the story line. This was the first one I read and didn't figure it out until near the end. Singer is a christian author, and his G rated writing style is refreshing.

A Land Remembered, Patrick Smith
This is a must read for Floridians. However, I must admit, I read the Student Version. The library was all out of the regular version. I didn't think it would make much difference, but during our discussion I quickly learned it did. I missed some story lines, ones that were taken out to make the story rated G.

East of Eden, John Steinbeck
Loved it. Many do not like Steinbeck's writing style, but I do. This is a long novel, but I breezed through it. I was drawn to each character and truly loved being swept into this novel.

Lake in the Clouds, Sara Donati
This was part of a series, that we didn't realize was a series until after we read it. It was good, some racy parts, but overall good. Someday, maybe I'll read the first and second novel.

The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
It was okay. Not really sure what all the hype was about.

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
Beautiful retelling of the biblical story of Hosea and Gomer. Another story I loved being swept into. Rivers' gives layers to her characters, causing you to immediately identify with and root for. Highly recommend this novel.

What novels have you read this year?

6 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

I just finished Sisterchicks go Brit and thoroughly enjoyed it. My dear, your reading this year was nicely well balanced...Kudos to You! Thanks for the reccomends, now whenever I need a good book I can refer back to this post. You're a gem.

Melissa said...

Twilight Series and I started The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers, but couldn't really get into it. I know it's probably a fantastic book, but being surrounded by toddlers all day, it's hard to wrap my brain around anything above Goodnight Moon.

Melissa said...

By the way, my name is Melissa and it's nice to meet you.....:o)

CroppinRobin said...

Hi Melissa, it is nice to meet you.

Laura said...

I just finished the first two novels by Donati. They are good. The first one is 876 pages and I read it in less than a week. In these books the steamy scenes are limited to the married main characters, although still more info than I need. If you like, you can borrow them after Tracy is finished. The story is very good and keeps your attention. I think I'll lay off this series now so I can read our books for January.

gideonmommasita said...

Robin did you notice you have over 10,000 on your lookie-lou! Way to Go!


2008 is going to be great....
It's the year I'm going to lose weight!