Thursday, July 5, 2007

My big little boy....

Okay, so Michael measured my 10 year old today...and he is only 1 1/2 inches shorter than I am! How did that happen?

It truly seems just yesterday that he was a little boy, running around playing with his matchbox cars....oh wait, that was just yesterday!

Why is it that when our children are very little, we long for 'the next stage'? When they will eat solid food, when they will be potty trained, when they will ride a bike - sans the training wheels. While we, as parents, long for our children to grow up and learn and become independent people - at the same time we are saying goodbye to wonderful 'phases'.
My desire: To be better at cherishing each day, each moment. Another reason to scrapbook...need I say more? Nope...didn't think so.

A memory of Jacob.....some will not approve....oh, well.


Jacob was probably 4 years old and it was bedtime. I recently shared this story with Michael and he didn't remember being there , but remembered the story, so he must have been out. This is an important part of the story, see it has always been Michael who has put Hannah and Jacob to bed. When Michael was out or away, I would be the tucker. This particular evening Jacob was being very rambunctious and really was not ready to go to bed. I cannot remember exactly what he was doing, but he was making noise and probably bothering his sister (he is still great at the bothering his sister part). Anyway, I made a trip upstairs, which immediately was a strike against him...climbing the stairs, not my favorite part of a 2-story. I digress....While upstairs I asked, "Jacob, do you need a spanking to help you get to sleep?", to which he replied, "No," with his covers over his head. I fixed his blankets and went back downstairs. Not much later I heard footsteps upstairs and the next thing I knew a little blond head appeared over the banister. "Mommy, I think I need a spanking," Jacob said. I immediately started laughing and walked him back upstairs.
Needless to say....no spanking for Jacob, but a great memory.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I can't believe you haven't blogged anymore. as mike would say "what's up with that?"
I'm at camp, but i can blog here, hopefully! talk to you soon.


2008 is going to be great....
It's the year I'm going to lose weight!